Download StuffIt Expander and enjoy it on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Open StuffIt and Zip archives from iCloud or other Cloud Providers such as Box, Google Drive, Dropbox and OneDrive. View, email, share or move the expanded contents to your favorite cloud provider. Stuffit Expander lets you decompress files with a quick drag and drop, or through the file menu, and the app handles more than 30 file formats. If you often need to decompress unusual and/or legacy. Stuffit Expander is a free and easy-to-use decompression utility that comes with support for over 30 different archive formats such as ZIP, RAR, 7Z, TAR, SIT, SITX and more. In addition, Stuffit.
- Download Stuffit Expander For Mac
- Stuffit Expander Mac Os 9
- Stuffit Expander 4.0.1
- Stuffit Expander App
- Stuffit For Mac Free Download
WinZip is probably the standard for PC users, but now StuffIt Expander, the long time Mac equivalent has come to Windows. This free version only handles expansion - you can't compress your files - but unlike WinZip, StuffIt Expander will unpack many different compression formats. This includes common ones like RAR and TAR files.
Stuffit Expander, from Aladdin Systems, is a freely redistributable tool for extracting Stuffit 'SIT' archives on Apple Macintosh computers. Most Macintosh file archives are in this format. Unlike ZIP, Stuffit preserves special resource fork and creator type information required by Macintosh file systems. For the Microsoft Windows version, please see Aladdin Expander.
Version 5.5 requires MacOS 7.1.1 or later with a minimum hardware requirement of a Mac II (68020 CPU). Supports PPC Macs.
Version 5.5 is the last that will run on m68k based Macs, and is the most popular version for vintage Macintosh abandonware.
The 'bin' file is primarily for use with virtual Mac hard drive image management tools. Inserting this file in to a Mac volume will automatically create the required resource fork and creator information. On a real mac, bin files can be extracted with BinHex.
The 1.44mb disk image may be written with a USB floppy drive (the target Mac must also have a 1.44mb drive), and the ISO may be written to a CD-ROM or mounted in an emulator.
The main window of StuffIt Expander 2011 uses a severely minimalistic interface.
|Developer(s)||Smith Micro Software|
|Operating system||Classic Mac OS, macOS, Windows|
StuffIt Expander is a proprietary, freeware, closed source, decompression software utility developed by Allume Systems (a subsidiary of Smith Micro Software formerly known as Aladdin Systems). It runs on the classic Mac OS, macOS, and Microsoft Windows. Prior to 2011, a Linux version had also been available for download.
The latest version for each Mac platform is as follows:
- 16.0.5 for Mac OS X 10.8+ (as of January 2019);
- 15.0.7 (2011) for Mac OS X 10.6.8+;
- 15.0.4 (2011) for Mac OS X 10.5+;
- 14.0.1 (2010) for Mac OS X 10.4+;
- 10.0.2 for Mac OS X 10.3+;
- 8.0.2 for Mac OS X 10.0+;
- 7.0.3 for Mac OS 8.6+;
- 6.0.1 for Mac OS 8.1+ (PowerPC only);
- 5.5.1 for System 7.1+ (68020 and up, PowerPC);
- 4.5 for System 6+ (compatible with all 68k processors).
StuffIt has been a target of criticism and dissatisfaction from Mac users in the past as the file format changes frequently, notably during the introduction of StuffIt version 5.0. Expander 5.0 contained many bugs, and its file format was not readable by the earlier version 4.5, leaving Mac users of the time without a viable compression utility.
The latest stand-alone version for Windows is 2009 (13.0). Unlike the version before it (12.0), which was only able to decompress the newer .sitx (and ZIP) archives, version 2009 claims to be able to decompress over 30 formats, some listed below. The executables require both, the .NET v2.0 framework and MSVC 2008 (9.0) runtimes. The previous stand-alone version able to decompress .sit and other classic Mac OS-specific archives was 7.02, distributed with StuffIt v7.0.x for Windows.
From versions 7.5.x to 11 the Expander capabilities were actually performed by the StuffIt Standard Edition, that allowed decompression even after the end of the trial period. To start StuffIt in Expander mode the following command line switches were used: -expand -uiexpander. Note that the registration reminder dialogue box is not shown in this case. With older versions of StuffIt Expander on the classic Mac OS platform, such as StuffIt Expander 3.5, it was possible to enhance the capabilities of StuffIt Expander and to add support for decompressing additional archive formats by means of the shareware DropStuff with Expander Enhancer software from Aladdin Systems.
Download Stuffit Expander For Mac
There is also a command lineDOS application called UNSTUFF v1.1 that allows decompression of .sit files.
Stuffit Expander Mac Os 9
StuffIt Expander 2009 decompresses files in the following formats:
- 7-Zip (.7z, .cb7)
- AppleSingle (.as)
- Arc (.arc)
- ARJ (.arj)
- BinHex (.hqx), all versions
- BTOA (.b2a, .btoa)
- bzip2 (.bzip, .bzip2, .bz, .bz2, .tbz, .tbz2, .tar.bz, .tar.bz2)
- CAB (.cab)
- Compact Pro (.cpt)
- gzip (.gz, .tgz)
- LHA (.lha, .lzh)
- LZMA (.lzma, .tlzma, .tar.lzma)
- MacBinary (.bin, .macbin), all versions
- MIME/Base 64 (.mime)
- Private File (.pF), Aladdin's encryption file format
- RAR (.rar, .rNN, .cbr, .partNN.rar), including segmented
- SpaceSaver StuffIt compression format used in versions prior 5.x
- StuffIt (.sit, .sitx, .sit.N, .partNN.sitx, .sea, .exe) v1.5.1 to 8.0.x, including encrypted, segmented and self-extracting archive (Classic Mac OS file type code 'SIT!')
- tar (.tar, .gtar, .gnutar, .ustar, .cbt)
- Unix Compress (.Z, .z, .taz)
- UU (.uu, .uue, .enc), PC/Unix 8 bit to 7 bit encoding similar to BinHex (.hqx)
- yEncode (.ync, .y)
- ZIP (.zip, .zNN, .cbz, .exe), including encrypted, Zip64, segmented and self-extracting archive
Stuffit Expander 4.0.1
- ^StuffIt updates page
- ^Stuffit Expander (Mac) download page
- ^Engst, Adam (1994-07-18). 'SEx and the Single Archive'. TidBITS. Retrieved 2018-05-11.